EndNote is a citation manager that Rowan University Libraries have licensed for use at Rowan University. It automates much of the work of organizing and formatting citations and bibliographies. With Endnote create personal, searchable libraries of citations to articles, books, media, websites, and almost any form of communication. EndNote also generates properly formatted citations and bibliographies (reference lists) using the publication or citation style you need to get your research and scholarship published.
This guide offers a step by step tutorial covering the basics of using EndNote. EndNote is a complex program to learn and use and users are encouraged to review tutorials and EndNote documentation before working with EndNote, or contact your Rowan Library to consult with an expert on using EndNote. EndNote should be used from the earliest stages of the research process.
EndNote at Rowan University
1. Go to
2. Click on Endnote 20 for your operating system (Windows or Mac) to download.
3. Select your affiliation, either Rowan or Cooper, and log-in using the appropriate username and password to verify your affiliation to begin download (IF prompted to open or save the file, select save.)
1. Uninstall previous versions of EndNote before installing the new version. Uninstalling EndNote will not delete or change your existing EndNote libraries. Admin rights are needed to install EndNote on Rowan owned computers.
2. Close all Microsoft Office apps (Word, Outlook, etc.)
3. On your computer or laptop go to folder where the EN20Inst.zip file was saved.
4. Unzip the EndNote file using any standard unzip utility (right click on the zipped folder and use the Extract All option).
5. Extract both the Windows installer and the license.dat file to the same folder.
6. Once unzipped open the new folder labeled EN20Inst
7. Click "EN20Inst.msi" to begin installation, accept licensing agreement. For most users select the typical install. If you need a greater variety of discipline specific publication styles and database styles select custom install. See the Custom Install handout for more information.
If prompted to enter a product key during installation the Windows installer and the license.dat file are not in the same folder, or the EndNote file was not unzipped.
8. Use the default destination for the install. After installation is complete, launch EndNote.
1. Launch the "EndNote20SiteInstaller.dmg" file you downloaded.
2. Double-click the "Install EndNote 20 app" image.
3. This will bring up an image with "Licensed to: Rowan University"
4. Click the "Install" button". This may take several minutes to complete.
5. You should click on "Next" when prompted, and accept the default setting if prompted.
Close all other applications before installing EndNote