On this date in 2019, I began working at RowanSOM. In my time here, I've had the opportunity to work with outstanding professionals, and I've been able to learn a lot about medical education. I wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone I've worked with over the last three years. It's been a wonderful experience, and I thank you all.
A reminder that all Faculty Focus Newsletter and Update issues are available from the Faculty Focus Archive.
I thank all who help with content curation and those who have shared items with me for distribution.
Thank you, Steve
FACULTY FOCUS UPDATE (12/2/22)
Archive | Calendar
Table of Contents:
Announcements | Events | Teaching & Learning | Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Congratulations! Rowan University PROFessional of the Month - Kathleen Roderique
- From announcement: "Congratulations to Kathleen Roderique in the Rowan-Virtua School of Osteopathic Medicine Simulation Center for being selected as the PROFessional of the Month for October!"
- AACOM Medical Education Research Grant
- From announcement: "Apply for AACOM's highly competitive Research Grant Program and receive up to $10,000 in funding! Topics related to workforce issues—such as the implications of the expansion of osteopathic medical colleges, branch campuses, additional teaching sites and class sizes—are of increasing interest. Primary Investigator must be affiliated with an AACOM member college of osteopathic medicine."
More information and to submit
- IAMSE Excellence in Teaching Awards (Early Career & Distinguished Career)
- From announcement: "Since 2007, IAMSE has honored medical educators from its membership with two prestigious awards to recognize and promote teaching excellence and educational scholarship in the medical sciences. We now open the nominations for the 2023 Excellence in Teaching awards, which will be presented at the annual meeting in June 2023. Qualified candidates may self-nominate or be nominated by an IAMSE colleague."
- IAMSE Educational Scholarship & Curriculum Innovation Grants
- From announcement: "The International Association of Medical Science Educators (IAMSE) wishes to encourage and support scholarship in medical science education and will fund multiple educational scholarship and curriculum innovation grants for up to $5000 each. We are excited to announce that proposals for 2023 grants are now being accepted! The purpose of the IAMSE Educational Scholarship Grants is to make funds available to support projects designed to systematically collect and analyze data related to medical education, which may employ a variety of methods, but seeks to produce generalizable information for dissemination. The purpose of the IAMSE Curriculum Innovation Grants is to make funds available to support projects designed for the general enrichment of teaching and learning that go beyond normal expectations of a faculty member, including but not limited to advances in pedagogy, technology, content development, or professional development"
More information and to submit
Teaching & Learning
Faculty Development Guides
TeachingPhysician (Each week, I’ll be sharing two articles from this resource)
(Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for access information)
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Curation and editorial input provided by Yvonne Ortiz, Director, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Rowan-Virtua SOM
Rowan-Virtua SOM DEI Website
Faculty Development Guide: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
- Division of DEI – DEI Blog
- Making the Connection: Leading with Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Justice
12/6, 1pm-2:15, Zoom
From announcement: "In response to the disparate impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic and acts of social injustice, medical schools have recognized the need for strategic leadership to address equity, diversity, and inclusion. This has resulted in the growth of leadership positions at senior levels. On December 6, the AACOM Council on Diversity and Equity (CDE) will host an online fireside chat focused on effective practices in leading diversity, equity, and inclusion in medical schools.
- Academic Medicine
- Hanson, J. L., Pérez, M., Mason, H. R., Aagaard, E. M., Jeffe, D. B., Teherani, A., & Colson, E. R. (2022). Racial/ethnic disparities in clerkship grading: Perspectives of students and teachers. Academic Medicine, 97(11S), S35-S45