Rowan users can now install or upgrade to EndNote 21, the newest version of EndNote. EndNote 21 new and enhanced features include:
To learn more about the new EndNote 21 check-out this short YouTube Video.
EndNote is a citation manager that Rowan University Libraries have licensed for use across Rowan University. It automates much of the work of organizing and formatting citations and bibliographies.
This guide offers a step-by-step tutorial covering the basics of using EndNote. EndNote is a complex program and users are encouraged to review tutorials and documentation before working with EndNote or contact your Rowan Library to consult with an expert on using EndNote. EndNote should be used from the earliest stages of the research process.
EndNote at Rowan University
1. Go to
2. Click on Endnote 21 for your operating system (Windows or Mac) to download.
3. Select your affiliation, either Rowan or Cooper, and log-in using the appropriate username and password to verify your affiliation to begin download (IF prompted to open or save the file, select save.)
1. It is recommended to uninstall previous versions of EndNote before installing the new version.
2. Close all Microsoft Office apps (Word, Outlook, etc.)
3. On your computer or laptop go to folder where the EndNote21.zip file was saved.
4. Unzip the EndNote folder by right clicking on the zipped folder and use the Extract All option.
5. Extract both the Windows installer and the license.dat file to the same folder.
6. Open the new unzipped or uncompressed folder labeled EndNote 21
7. Click "EN21Inst.msi" to begin installation, accept the licensing agreement. For most users select the typical install. If you need a greater variety of discipline specific publication styles and database styles select custom install. See the Custom Install handout for more information.
8. Use the default destination for the install. After installation is complete, launch EndNote.
Close all other applications before installing EndNote
Launch the "EndNote21SiteInstaller.dmg" file you downloaded.
Double-click the "Install EndNote 21 app" image.
This will bring up an image with "Licensed to: Rowan University"
Click the "Install" button". This may take several minutes to complete.
You should click on "Next" when prompted, and accept the default setting if prompted.
It is recommended that you do not install "EndNote Click" when given the option. Rowan Libraries support a similar service that is already integrated into Rowan Libraries' systems.