EndNote 20 has arrived. A new, updated version of EndNote is now available to the Rowan community for both Windows and Mac computers. EndNote 20 bring a new user interface (UI) and a number of new and improved features. Yet, its new design and functionality will still be familiar to users of the older version of EndNote. To learn more about the new EndNote watch the short video below.
It is not required that anyone upgrade to the new version, but to keep current with publication style changes and changes to database import/export functions you will want to eventually migrate to EndNote 20.
EndNote is a commercial citation manager that the Rowan University Libraries have licensed for use at Rowan University. It automates much of the work of organizing and formatting citations and bibliographies. With Endnote you can create personal, searchable libraries of citations to articles, books, media, websites, and almost any form of communication. EndNote also generates properly formatted citations and bibliographies (reference lists) using the publication or citation style you need to get your research and scholarship published.
EndNote at Rowan University
1. Go to
2. Click on Endnote 20, the newest version, for your operating system (Windows or Mac) to download.
3. Select your affiliation, either Rowan or Cooper, and log-in using the appropriate username and password to verify your affiliation to begin download (IF prompted to open or save the file, select save.)
1. Uninstall previous versions of EndNote before installing the new version. Uninstalling EndNote will not delete or change your existing EndNote libraries. Admin rights are needed to install EndNote on Rowan owned computers.
2. Close all Microsoft Office apps (Word, Outlook, etc.)
3. On your computer or laptop go to folder where the EN20Inst.zip file was saved.
4. Unzip the EndNote file using any standard unzip utility (right click on the zipped folder and use the Extract All option).
5. Extract both the Windows installer and the license.dat file to the same folder.
6. Once unzipped open the new folder labeled EN20Inst
7. Click "EN20Inst.msi" to begin installation, accept licensing agreement. For most users select the typical install. If you need a greater variety of discipline specific publication styles and database styles select custom install. See the Custom Install handout for more information.
If prompted to enter a product key during installation the Windows installer and the license.dat file are not in the same folder, or the EndNote file was not unzipped.
8. Use the default destination for the install. After installation is complete, launch EndNote.
1. Launch the "EndNote20SiteInstaller.dmg" file you downloaded.
2. Double-click the "Install EndNote 20 app" image.
3. This will bring up an image with "Licensed to: Rowan University"
4. Click the "Install" button". This may take several minutes to complete.
5. You should click on "Next" when prompted, and accept the default setting if prompted.
Close all other applications before installing EndNote