There are 2 versions of EndNote available to Rowan users, a standalone desktop/laptop version and an enhanced version of the web/cloud based EndNote Basic. This enhanced version is referred to as EndNote Online. Both the desktop and online versions can be used independently of each other, but are designed to work in concert with each other. Both versions have similar capabilities, but the desktop/laptop version of EndNote has a few features not available in EndNote Basic or EndNote Online and is not dependent on having an Internet connection. However, with the web based-versions you are not tied to an individual computer or laptop, and can share your references with other EndNote users making collaboration easier. See the EndNote Online section of this guide for more information about EndNote Online.
EndNote is a program that can help manage citations for research projects and publications. It automates much of the work of organizing and formatting citations and bibliographies. Create personal, searchable library of citations to articles, books, media, and websites.
EndNote connects to many databases and resources such as PubMed, Cochrane, and Web of Science, and outputs results in over 1,000 different publication styles. No more leafing through style manuals to see how to cite a webpage vs. an article. EndNote handles all that for you!
EndNoteX9 for Windows and Mac is available to the Rowan community to download to your computer or laptop.
1. Go to
2. Under Academic Software click the appropriate EndNote version (Windows or Mac) to download.
3. Select your affiliation, either Rowan or Cooper, and log-in using the appropriate username and password to verify your affiliation to begin download (IF prompted to open or save the file, select save.)
1. It is recommended that you uninstall previous versions of EndNote before installing a new version. Uninstalling EndNote will not delete or change your existing EndNote libraries
2. On your computer or laptop go to folder where the EndNoteX9.zip file was saved.
3. Unzip the EndNote file using any standard unzip utility (right click on the zipped folder and use the Extract All option).
4. Extract both the Windows installer and the license.dat file to the same folder.
5. Once unzipped open the folder labeled EndNoteX9.
6. Click "ENX9Inst.msi" to begin installation, and accept the default settings and select typical installation. (If you are prompted to enter a product key during installation the Windows installer and the license.dat file are not in the same folder, or the EndNote file was not unzipped.)
7. After EndNote installation is complete, launch EndNote.
8. Check for update if not prompted to automatically do so. Go to: Help > Check for Updates. Also see information on updating to the latest EndNote version 9.3.3
1. Launch the "EndNoteX9SiteInstaller.dmg" file you downloaded.
2. Double-click the "Install EndNote X9 app" image.
3. This will bring up an image with "Licensed to: Rowan University"
4. Click the "Install" button". This may take several minutes to complete.
5. You should click on "Next" when prompted, and accept the default setting if prompted.
Make sure you are not running other applications during the install process.
Windows users of Endnote may not be automatically prompted to update to the latest version of Endnote, currently version 9.3.3. This is due to the latest update containing a new database engine designed to improve cross-compatibility with the Mac EndNote version. Users may need to apply the update manually. See the EndNote Updates web page from Clarivate Analytics for the update and instructions.
Important: When you open an existing library in X9.3 and later, it will create a converted version for use with the new database engine. The original library will not be changed, so you can continue using it with X9.2 or earlier. Alternatively, use Sync to move your data across systems and versions.
Q. When I try to install EndNote I am being prompted for a product key?
A. Rowan users DO NOT need a Product Key. You need to unzip the EndNote installation package before you run the installation file, otherwise you will be asked for a product key. When you download EndNote make sure you save the file to your computer. EndNote is saved to your computer as a zipped package (EndnoteX9.zip). Right click on the package and select the "extract all" option. This will create a new folder called EndnoteX9. Inside the folder will be an installation file (ENX9Inst.msi) and a license file. Run the installation file from the new folder to avoid being prompted for the product key.
Q. Is there an EndNote app for Ipads and tablets?
A. There is an EndNote Ipad app, but not one for tablets. The Ipad version of EndNote is not part of Rowan University Libraries' EndNote subscription, and must be purchased separately.
Q. Will EndNote work on a Chromebook
A. Programs like EndNote cannot be installed on a Chromebook, but you can access and use EndNote Online, the cloud based version of EndNote, with a Chromebook.
Q. Should I use one library file for all my references, or separate libraries for different projects?
A. You can create separate libraries for each of your projects. There is no limit to the number of libraries you can have, or you can keep everything in one library. It's entirely up to you to decide how you want your references organized in EndNote.
Q. I installed EndNote, but it says it's a demo version that will expire soon. How do I install the full version?
A. This usually happens when EndNote's installation package was not extracted properly. You should uninstall the demo version, and then reinstall the program making sure the files are properly extracted from the installation package when you reinstall. Right click on the downloaded installation package and select the "extract all" option. This will create a new folder called EndnoteX9. Inside the folder will be an installation file (ENX9Inst.msi) and a license file. Run the installation file from the new folder.