There are 2 versions of EndNote available to Rowan users, a standalone desktop/laptop version and an enhanced web based-version called EndNote Online. EndNote Online is the enhanced version of EndNote Basic, the free version of EndNote. Both the desktop and web-based versions can be used independently of each other, but are designed to work in concert with each other. Both versions have similar capabilities, but the desktop/laptop version of EndNote has a few features not available in EndNote Basic or EndNote Online and is not dependent on having an Internet connection. However, with the web based-versions you are not tied to an individual computer or laptop, and can share your references with other EndNote Basic and Online users making collaboration easier. See the EndNote Online section of this guide for more information about EndNote Online.
EndNote is a program that can help manage citations for research projects and publications. It automates much of the work of organizing and formatting citations and bibliographies. Create personal, searchable library of citations to articles, books, media, and websites.
EndNote connects to many databases and resources such as PubMed, Cochrane, and Web of Science, and outputs results in over 1,000 different publication styles. No more leafing through style manuals to see how to cite a webpage vs. an article. EndNote handles all that for you!
1. Go to
2. Under Academic Software click the appropriate EndNote version (Windows or Mac) to download.
3. Log-in using your Rowan username and password to verify your Rowan affiliation to begin download (IF prompted to open or save the file, select save.)
1. On your computer or laptop go to folder where the EndNoteX8Win.zip file was saved.
2. Unzip the EndNote file using any standard unzip utility (right click on the zipped folder and use the Extract All option).
3. Extract both the Windows installer and the license.dat file to the same folder.
4. Once unzipped open the folder labeled EndNoteX8Win.
5. Click "ENX8Inst" to begin installation, and accept the default settings and select typical installation. (If you are prompted to enter a product key during installation the Windows installer and the license.dat file are not in the same folder, or the EndNote file was not unzipped.)
6. After EndNote installation is complete, launch EndNote and you should be prompted to update EndNote, do so. If you aren’t prompted to update EndNote run the "EndNote Program Updates" from the EndNote Help Menu to check for any updates.
EndNote X8 for Mac is ONLY compatible with newer version of MacOS. Version 10.10 (Yosemite) and above, use EndNote X7 for earlier version of MacOS. To learn how to find the MacOS version running on your Mac click here.
1. Launch the "EndNoteX8SiteInstaller.dmg" file you downloaded.
2. Double-click the "Install EndNote X8 app" image.
3. This will bring up an image with "Licensed to: Rowan University"
4. Click the "Install" button". This may take several minutes to complete.
5. You should click on "Next" when prompted, and accept the default setting if prompted.
Make sure you are not running other applications during the install process.
EndNote X7 is NOT compatible with the latest versions of MacOS, version 10.10 and above. To learn how to find the MacOS version running on your Mac click here.
1. Download and save the install file to your MAC.
2. Once downloaded, go to the "Downloads" folder click on the file labled "EndNoteX7SiteInstaller.dng".
3.A new window will open. This window is "MULTI-USER & SITE LICENSE UNLOCKED INSTALLER". Drag the EndNote X7 folder on screen from left to right and into Applications as seen on screen.
4.Double click the "Applications" folder to open it and go to the EndNote X7 folder.
5. Open the EndNote X7 folder and click the EndNote Icon to launch the EndNote Customizer. The EndNote Customizer will install the program to completion; you should click "Next" when prompted. Make sure you are not running other applications during the install process.
Note that Apple's Safari browser does not work well with EndNote. It is recommended that either Firefox, Chrome or Explorer be used when working with EndNote.
Q. When I try to install EndNote I am being prompted for a product key?
A. Rowan users DO NOT need a Product Key. You need to unzip the EndNote installation package before you run the installation file, otherwise you will be asked for a product key. When you download EndNote make sure you save the file to your computer. EndNote is saved to your computer as a zipped package (endnoteX8Win.zip). Right click on the package and select the "extract all" option. This will create a new folder called endnoteX8Win. Inside the folder will be an installation file (ENX8Inst.msi) and a license file. Run the installation file from the new folder to avoid being prompted for the product key.
Q. Is there an EndNote app for Ipads and tablets?
A. There is an EndNote Ipad app, but not one for tablets. The Ipad version of EndNote is not part of Rowan University Libraries' EndNote subscription, and must be purchased separately.
Q. Should I use one library file for all my references, or separate libraries for different projects?
A. You can create separate libraries for each of your projects. There is no limit to the number of libraries you can have, or you can keep everything in one library. It's entirely up to you to decide how you want your references organized in EndNote.
Q. I installed EndNote, but it says it's a demo version that will expire soon. How do I install the full version?
A. This usually happens when EndNote's installation package was not extracted properly. You should uninstall the demo version, and then reinstall the program making sure the files are properly extracted from the installation package when you reinstall. Right click on the downloaded installation package and select the "extract all" option. This will create a new folder called endnoteX8Win. Inside the folder will be an installation file (ENX8Inst.msi) and a license file. Run the installation file from the new folder.